Thursday, January 24, 2008

Security (Identity) in Christ

"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it (John 1:1-5)."

I know that this passage might be really familiar to many of you, but I want to hit on the, "All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made." To tell you the truth it is pretty self-explanatory. But if God made all things that are here, then we should not put our stock in them, because we know from experience that these things fail, constantly. So, why don't we put our trust in the One that is far greater than the things that will always let us down, the One that made all our "securities?" We should not be so wrapped up in something that it becomes our identity, yet it always happens (I speak from experience) and then when it fails we look for another thing to replace the first.

What I am really trying to get to is this; I myself want to be secure in Christ, and in Christ alone, so that when the walls of life crumble around me, and the ceiling comes crashing down around my head, I will walk away from the ruin that was once my life and will still live, because none of that ruin was me, my identity was Christ and Him crucified.

Let this be my challenge to you, do not be so consumed by that thing, whether it be music, sports, video games, or T.V. for it to become your identity, but be consumed by the greatest power of the universe, the One from whose mouth came the sun, in a mere word. Let Him become your significance and let His Son save you from the punishment you so justly deserve. He is the only one that will never fail you, and never forsake you, of you are His child. "O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God-through Jesus Christ our Lord... There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit! (Romans 7:24-25a, 8:1)" These verses bring tears to my eyes, because I am such a wretched man. I am a pride filled, lying, man and I deserve nothing more than death and hell, but because of His sheer grace, and His sheer mercy, and His sheer love, He gave me His Son that I might become His, and no longer be forsaken to hell! This God we worship is strong and mighty to save, He is awesome as well as the King from the beginning to the end. He absolutely is, and was, and will be, he is the great I AM!

No comments: