Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Response to Myself

I stumbled across this issue a few months ago, this issue which I posted three writings about entitled ‘Common Error.’ It is still something I hold to, but in a different form. For in writing, and indeed in reading I, and you, noticed there were two ideals I was pushing against.

The two ideas are that of unlimited limited atonement and of common grace. Within those posts I was wrong to lump them together and thus wrong in some of my themes (These posts remain up so as to provide you a better understanding). However there is an element of truth to many of the themes.

Thus, it is here that I wish to speak (well… write) about the latter of the two, namely that of common grace. For I have spoken with a much more intelligent man, who has written on this matter and thus provided me a much more coherent idea.

In John Frame’s book “The Doctrine of God” he speaks to the idea of common grace on pages 429-437. After reading I e-mail Dr. Frame with a myriad of questions to which he responded. His response and my better-informed thoughts seem to go hand in hand thus I wish to express them here, in the next few posts (not sure how many there will be yet.).

(Be warned they will be extremely heady but will end in a more will informed and proper manner. Thus I request you bear with me as we descend into the depths (or ascend into the clouds) of biblical sifting and questioning. The definitions being grace: an undeserved gift and mercy: not getting what is deserved, though it is in the capacity of God to give.)

No comments: