Monday, January 9, 2012

Remembering Psalm 19

My class memorized Psalm 19 in kindergarten. I remember reciting it in our little room and then in front of all our parents at the end of the year for ‘graduation.’

I remember thinking the words, “handiwork,” “bridegroom,” and “firmament (we used the NKJV, I think)” being weird words.

I remember this Psalm. Not by heart, but I remember it.

“The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul.”

“The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.”

“The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.”

“The Commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.”

“The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever.”

“The rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.”

Great, right? But I’ve long thought knowing, remembering these things is fine and dandy, but if there is no living these things then the knowledge of them is faux (and something tells me Mrs. Dyck wasn’t having us memorizes this to just know it).

So, here’s to it Psalm 19, pointing us to Jesus. The law, the testimony, precepts, commandment, fear, and rules point us directly to Him.

The law does because only Jesus could uphold it perfectly; the testimony of the Lord because all of the testimony of Scripture is about Jesus; the precepts of the Lord because these points us to the prefect God-Man; the Commandment, because we must believe the Gospel; the fear of the Lord because Jesus is the only one who intercedes between the wrath of God and man; the rules because Christ is the rule of all of life.

No comments: