Monday, November 5, 2007

Scottish Hymn #2

"LORD, when Thy kingdom comes, remember me;"
Thus spake the dying lips to dying ears;
O faith, which in that darkest hour could see
The promised glory of the far-off years.

No kingly sign declares that glory now,
No ray of hope lights up that awful hour;
A thorny crown surrounds the bleeding brow,
The hands are stretched in weakness, not in power.

Yet hear the word the dying Savor saith,
"Thou too shalt rest in Paradise today;"
O words of love to answer words of faith!
O words of hope for those who live to pray!

Lord when with dying lips my prayer is said,
Grant that in faith Thy kingdom I may see;
And thinking on Thy cross and bleeding head,
May breathe my parting words, "Remember me."

Remember me, but not my shame or my sin;
Thy cleansing blood hath washed them all away;
Thy precious death for me did pardon win;
Thy blood redeemed me in that awful day.

Remember me; yet how canst Thou forget
What pain and anguish I have caused to Thee,-
The cross the agony the bloody sweat,
And all the sorrow Thou didst bear for me?

Remember me; and ere I pass away,
Speak Thou the assuring words that sets us free,
And make your promise to my heart, "Today Thou too shalt rest in Paradise with me."

No comments: