Thursday, October 14, 2010

Observations of a New Pastor

I haven’t been doing this very long. In the grand scheme of things I’m still naïve to many of the problems pastors encounter. But there have been things that I’ve seen now and things that I wish I had seen modeled by pastors I love which will shape who I am in ministry until God sends something bigger.
The dynamic has changed. It’s like moving to a different part of town, the friends remain the same, but they all change… Rather you change. Some I was close with before are still close but not near as close as they were. Some are a simple blip on the radar. Some I don’t know anymore. Things have changed. Whether it is God working to grow me, or my sin of being overly busy, I’m not sure.
As I write I see the books on my shelves and know from their spines which ones were good for my brain in ministry and which ones sucked. I think in terms of Sundays passed, not days or moments. A ‘big deal’ is putting a fire out over the phone or through a conversation. But the life of the pastor is more than these things.
It is my prayer, through this series of posts, to be extremely candid with you my readers (all five of you). To simply write, as a man, how working in ministry changes me, as well as to write simple insights into how I’ve done ministry poorly. I would rather write this now than after 50 years of ministry. I’d rather see this on my desktop and remember whom I serve, then to have theoretical constructs running amuck in my brain for 40 years.
So, here it goes, Observations of New Pastor. “Hi, my name is Sam Morris, I’m a pastor.”

No comments: