Thursday, February 10, 2011

Quite Frankly

“Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Heb 4:14-16

Allow me to be frank. I love this passage, most of time. That Jesus was tempted just like us is an astounding idea in my brain… But it is no comfort to my heart. When conviction of sin comes and the realization of your own failures is before your eyes this passage, for me, is absolutely no help in calming my heart.

This may be on the verge of heretical for some of you, but let me explain why this passage is no help.

My biggest enemy and I are one! Sin dwells in my heart and makes a home in my very being. I am, by nature, a sinner. But Jesus was not. The enemy was not dwelling within him. So, yes, temptation came and he came through it perfectly because the draw was not deep inside his bones.

But I’ll tell you what this passage does do for me, “Before the throne of God above I have a strong and perfect plea a great high priest whose name is love whoever lives and pleads for me.”

Therefore though this passage is no comfort it is a pressing factor. For though his sympathy only goes so far his pleading goes the whole way. His finished work on the cross is the ultimate comfort, even when it seems so distant. That I am called “beloved child” because of Jesus that, that is where the comfort is found.

No comments: