Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Cleft to Hide in

Last night my roommate, Anthony Fiorillo, sang 'Rock of Ages' to a group of folks. We had all just gone on a rather long walk and played around on the jungle-gym in Riverside Park. The weather was down-right delightful and the company was great. But in all of that to hear these words, this is what was needed.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labors of my hands
can fulfill thy law's commands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,

Rock of Ages

Amidst trials, death, tears, happiness, contentedness, and breathing when turmoil and strife are all about or when things are steaming along at their best Jesus is the Rock of Ages. Never changing, always saving it is in this cleft there is peace and rest. In this cleft the burden is light.

At that time Jesus declared, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt. 11:25-30)

No comments: