Friday, March 18, 2011

My Generation's Need for Scripture (pt.1)

My generation needs to see the authority of Scripture as their ruling authority. Though this is true for all generations at all times, it is my generation that needs to learn that Scripture is the authority under which we live and it is the foundation upon which we stand.

The tendency seems to be standing on shifting ideals and broken morals or running from event to event with ear buds in leaving little (really no time) time for reflection and absolutely no time for guilt to well up (I know this because I do it).

Very little time is taken to sit and read the Bible. To, for lack of a better term, meditate on what it’s saying. In silence hearing and feeling the Word of God cut you to your core. But that’s just it, reading the Bible is hard and it hurts.

We run from pain, our fight of flight instinct is always flight. There is no fighting against a book, so we just toss it in the corner and let it gather dust. This is a theme of my generation, if it’s difficult don’t do it.

In the next few posts I hope to outline why Scripture is a necessity for my generation and, as much as possible, use personal examples to reveal my own heart in this matter.

No comments: