Monday, March 28, 2011

Letting Go of the Faded Memory

I watched Inception again last night. Honestly, I love that movie. I also love C.S. Lewis who is, I feel, represented well in the movie. Though he is not a character there is a simple truth that he wrote about which is spoken very well in the film.

Memories are funny things. We cherish them and relive them in our minds over and over, they, for lack of a better term become our ‘happy places.’ In fact there are memories floating around in my brain that I often return to because the moments they recount were sweet. There are people that I’ll likely never see again of whom I remember fondly. But they’re just memories.

There is no way to remember the event with all its complexities, faults and imperfections with all its beauties and travesties. A mind cannot recreate a person within itself nor can it perfectly remember a circumstance.

So here’s my point: We… I must not live in memories. However sweet it may be and however golden it may seem it does not nor cannot replace the present. The present reality where God sits on his throne reigning and where Jesus stands interceding on my behalf where there are conversations to be had and God to be glorified.

The memory is not the thing itself.

1 comment:

Steve Coleman said...

You, sir, are brilliant. I love reading the posts.
Write more, or put all of these in book form.