Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Unparalleled Beauty

The moon in the night sky has always been a fascination to me. When I was a kid I remember riding in the car with my parents at night just staring at its beauty. I remember first seeing the man in the moon, being enthralled with the shimmering beauty of a creation that is unparalleled by the rest.

No other piece of all of creation shows its likeness. The stars are here in myriads, the trees have like kinds in folds, and the animals have their species. Books may be reproduced and woodwork has its same depiction.

The moon has no equal but perhaps the sun. But there is one thing that has no parallel, which has no depiction or reproduction. Scripture is on a plane of its own, under God, for he created it, but over creation for it is how we know him and thus our authority. the moon though gorgeous cannot compare to the exquisite beauty of Scripture. Yet I am more inclined to stop in the street and stare at the moon as opposed to look at Scripture in the same wonder or merriment.

I’m more apt to walk through the streets excitedly waiting for glimpses of the moon through the trees, to be caught off guard by it when it is unexpectedly big or eerie.

But doesn’t Scripture have that same beauty; is it not in fact more beautiful? To be sure it is. But, quite frankly, I often don’t see it as more lovely than the moon.

No comments: