Friday, July 15, 2011

My Hand at Eschatology


You know that feeling when your trying to explain something you saw to someone and they’re just not 1) getting it or 2) caring? They’re off in La-la Land while your settled in reality simply wanting them to understand a point, or a picture, or your idea? (I’m gonna use a Harry Potter reference cause I saw HP7 last night and it was amazing.)

In the “Harry Potter” books it is better realized, the immense importance of folks understanding that Voldemort is returned and meaning (really wanting badly) to do them harm (A.K.A kill ‘em). But in book five the “Ministry of Magic” leader decides that it is impossible for the “Dark Lord” to be back. And thus the battle against him is nearly lost before it’s really ever begun.

But let me now apply this to life. The world is infected with this same sort of evil and all that millions see is “light.” I’ll say it another way, in more “Christianese” terms: Sin is running rampant in our world and very few people see it.

In various realms of the Christian world the footholds have been laid. The castle has been surrounded. And the fight, I fear, is just beginning. I do not often think of (or in) world ending terms but now I’m forced to, not from one act in particular, but from history.

Frodo: “I wish the ring had never come to me; I wish none of this had happened.”
Gandalf: “So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us…"


“In the Shadow of the glorious cross;
Compelled by grace to cast my lot.
I’ll discard the loss and bare your name;
Forsaking all for Your own fame.”


(The above picture is by Steve Coleman his other works might be seen here)

No comments: