Thursday, October 25, 2007

Grandpa's Poem

My grandfather past away over the summer, and upon my return I was able to go through his books and pick the ones I would like to keep. Inside the "Scottish Hymnal" I found this note scribbled onto a fading piece of stained paper.

Tell me The Stories of Jesus
I.
Tell me the stories of Jesus I love to hear;
Things I would ask Him to tell me if He were here
Scenes by the wayside, tales of the sea.
Stories of Jesus tell them to me.
II.
First let me hear how the children stood round His knee;
and I shall fancy His blessings resting on me:
words full of kindness, Deeds full of grace, All in the love-light of Jesus' face.
III.
Into the city I'd follow the children's band,
Waving a branch of palm-tree high in my hand;
One of His heralds, "Yes," I would sing
Loudest Hosannas! Jesus is King!

~William P.D. Wilson

A child's faith in the risen Savior, is awe inspiring. Making my soul cry to be like a child again to love without question, and to be wholly consumed by this one truth, that Jesus is all I want, all I need. Allowing us to sing, "You can have all this world, but give me Jesus."

1 comment:

jsw said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but I read it on Ben Witherington's blogspot and thought you would appreciate it.


Saturday, October 27, 2007
Memo to Mr. Osteen from John Wesley
"I fear, wherever riches have increased, the essence of religion has decreased in the same proportion. Therefore, I do not see how it is possible, in the nature of things, for any revival of religion to continue long. For religion must necessarily produce both industry and frugality, and these cannot but produce riches. But as riches increase, so will pride, anger, and love of the world in all its branches."

--- John Wesley (1703-1791).
posted by Ben Witherington at 1:36 PM 6 comments