Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Cost & Worth of Knowledge

I haven’t been at this Theology bit for too terribly long. In the scheme of my life it only comprises one quarter of it. But the more I study, the more I read, and the more Scripture I understand the more I realize I am a hiker digging into the face of a glacier with a child’s plastic beach shovel.

Indeed it has been a costly time by many people’s standards. I’m a college kid that will never know the ‘college life’. I’m a young man that will never sleep with multiple women nor will I waste numerous days on video games. And to be very honest and blunt, there are some days where all I want to do is be a ‘normal college kid’ and do all those things.

Piper said it well in an old blog post


“’For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases in knowledge increases in sorrow. (Ecclesiastes 1:18)’
“That is true. It’s true because the more we know…
…the more we know that we don’t know.
…the more we know that suffering abounds.
…the more we are accountable to live up to.
…the more dementia will take away.
But it is worth it.
‘There is gold and abundance of costly stones; but the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel. (Proverbs 20:15)’
‘You will know the truth and the truth will set you free. (John 8:32)’”


I agree. It’s worth it. It’s worth it to study the maker of all sciences, mathematics, and history. It’s worth it to study something you’ll spend your whole life on and never fully understand. It’s worth it to be captivated by the Maker of the stars.

Though it may cost you ‘life points’ the profitableness of knowing God far outweighs the fleeting pleasures of sin. Therefore, “Let us know, let us press on to know the Lord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth. (Hosea 6:3)”

No comments: