Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why I Blog, Tweet, & Facebook (1of3)

This subject has been something that my mind has been debating for a few weeks. Let me chronicle why/how this came up, reveal some of the debates I went through, and finally give my reason for remaining present on these three major social media networks.

On more of a reader note: this will be a three-post deal.
**********
The wrestle began almost two months ago. As I laced up my shoes one morning before class I thought, “You know what would be cool? Going and teaching at a university.” This thought probably sounded like an atomic bomb in my brain (you know, if thoughts had noises). For being a good student of Charles Spurgeon I quite quickly remembered the phrase, “a fire in your bones… the minister, if he feels he may be satisfied doing anything else ought never to be a minister. (‘Lectures to my Students’ paraphrase)”

This instantly began a deep worry within my soul. Questioning everything I’d learned for so long. Questioning the intentionality behind why I had done much of what I did/learned/read.

My mind was quite literally paralyzed. Teaching my Community Group that night was more unproductive than if I had not gone. ‘A tailspin’ or ‘crashing and burning’ or even ‘dead in the water’ would have described the next few days (perhaps even weeks) of my life. There was no passion nor drive, no desire nor motivation.

Sitting on my bookshelf at home was a copy of John Piper’s “God’s Passion for His Glory” I had read it twice before, but never really sat in its pages nor steeped in its depths.

I picked it up; more out of a last ditch effort than a thought of new beginnings. I consumed the introduction, devoured the first, second, and third chapter. Then I got to the meat: Jonathan Edwards’ “The End for which God Created the World”. It killed me.

No comments: