Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Thoughts on Zechariah 3:1-5

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. And the Lord said to Satan, "The Lord rebuke you, O Satan! The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is not this a brand plucked from the fire?" Now Joshua was standing before the angel, clothed with filthy garments. And the angel said to those who were standing before him, "Remove the filthy garments from him." And to him he said, "Behold, I have taken your iniquity away from you, and I will clothe you with pure vestments." And I said, "Let them put a clean turban on his head." So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the Lord was standing by. (Zechariah 3:1-5)

Yeah, this passage made my mind go *pop* when I read it.

As a believer in the Gospel this is your judgement day. Your iniquity has been taken away, you've been clothed in pure vestments, you've been plucked from the fire. Though you may be 'weary of earth, yourself, and sin.' your earth will be made new, yourself will be resurrected perfectly, and your sin was nailed to a cross two-thousand years ago.

Jesus. His name is power. His work is complete. And, you, the benefactor of his propitiatory punishment and resurrection are redeemed. Therefore rejoice for freedom has come. You are free to see the glory of God in the face of Jesus. You are free to be profoundly enthralled with the God who created you. You are free to glorify your Redeeming King in your being satisfied by who. He. Is.

You are free to glorify God because he saved you for his namesake.

"For my name's sake I defer my anger, for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you, that I may not cut you off. Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tried you in the furnace of affliction. For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another." (Isaiah 48:9-11)

No comments: