Monday, January 24, 2011

An Occurrence of Worship

I have seen multiple countries. I have seen the pyramids. I have seen the empty tomb. I have seen the place of the skull. I have seen the waters of the Nile and the Jordan. I have seen the sunrise from the window of a plane creating a grand canyon in the clouds. I have seen the Grand Canyon. But those sights do not, nor cannot compare to seeing uninhibited worship.

Eyes weeping and arms outstretched, lungs singing as much and best as they can “What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.” This is more beautiful than all the sunrises these eyes have seen.

“What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.” A room full of people singing, this chorus of sinful saints singing their only hope.

All gathered for one purpose, all singing for one purpose, because they have seen the glory of God in the face of Jesus. His beauty is beheld so deep in their souls they must, for they are bound by his beauty, run to him.

“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined.” (Isaiah 9:2) Their Redeemer has come. Their conquering King is reigning. Their beautiful Savior has paid their penalty. Mercy and grace flow unmingled down from God, for the Gospel has been (and is being) believed, and the dead are now alive.

Therefore this worship may occur. Those who once lived in complete slavery to sin are now free to weep at the remembrance of their redemption; free to lift their arms, for the shackles are gone, in adoration of their King; free to sing with all their might of the blood that washed (and is washing) away their sins.

This was Sunday morning at Journey the Way.